Keep your lines of communication open
Is your company data and equipment safe, should a disaster recovery happen?
By Mark Rossi
When hurricane alerts begin, most people’s first thoughts are how to safeguard their homes and where they will evacuate should a storm hit. Unfortunately, businesses often forget to protect their equipment, safeguard their networks and enable communication with customers and employees should there be an evacuation.
KML Computer Services provides clients with a hurricane checklist and remote services to help prepare for and manage through a storm. Below are some basic steps. It is critical to be able to connect and collaborate with your IT consultant during a storm to minimize business disruption. For example, KML Computer Services uses a remote access service that allows technicians to connect with a business’s computers to troubleshoot if needed.
KML COMPUTER SERVICES’ BUSINESS CLIENT CHECKLIST FOR HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS
• Back up all data and files, even on laptops. Consider saving data directly into the cloud in addition to local drives for added peace of mind and remote access.
• Depending on the type of business you run, you may need to work with a service that provides the necessary backup security protocols (i.e. PCI, HIPAA, etc.).
• Assume your building will lose power for an extended period of time—plan for that.
• Assume internet connectivity to your office will be lost for an extended period of time.
• Plan your return to deal with equipment affected by the storm since local utilities will be inundated with other more important issues first.
• Move your critical equipment off-site to a safe area above potential flooding.
• Unplug critical equipment that may be affected by electrical surge.
• Review the plan with vendors. Secure from them a clear understanding and commitment to the plan.
• Identify potential co-working or off-site locations to perform essential tasks. Plan for closed roads. Have communications, data connectivity, desktops or laptops and workspace at those sites. ■
KML Technical Support Locations
• Bluffton, SC
• Boston, MA
• San Diego, CA
• Sacramento, CA
• San Francisco, CA
• Phoenix, AZ
• Indianapolis, IN
• Chicago, IL
• New Orleans, LA
• Washington, DC
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Richmond, VA
• Toronto, CAN (GTA)
• Charlotte, NC
• Beaufort, SC
• Hilton Head Island, SC
• Pooler, GA
• Richmond Hill, GA
• Savannah, GA
• Effingham, GA
• Northville, MI